Going through tough times is not easy. Doesn’t matter what it is. (Finance, marriage, sickness, divorce, loneliness, heartaches…) Life can get challenging. I am busy with a new book which I am super excited about but for me to be able to write this book, I (we) had to endure really hard times, big tough decisions and many tears. Always remember in those extremely challenging times is when we learn and grow the most. Here are some tips from me on how to cope and deal with difficult times. 1. Reach out to loved ones: Share your feelings with someone you trust and love. There is no better way than talking and allowing someone from the outside to help support and sometimes and that person can even give a new and fresh perspective. Going through hard times can be a lonely place, so talking about it is maybe just what you need.
2. Take care of yourself: Pay attention to your physical and emotional well-being. Get enough rest, eat nutritious meals, and engage in activities that bring you joy and relaxation. This is a hard one, especially when you have days where you don’t even want to get out of bed. But the only way to keep going is to actually keep going. Don't hide in your shell and forget about yourself. Remember you need your best version to pull you through.
3. Seek professional help if needed: If you're struggling with severe or prolonged difficulties, consider reaching out to a mental health professional. There really is no need to carry the load by yourself. Sharing with someone is better than keeping everything bottled up inside. And just sometimes talking to a stranger is better than talking to a friend or a family member.
4. Break challenges into manageable steps: Overwhelming situations can become more manageable by breaking them down into smaller, achievable tasks. Focus on one step at a time and celebrate your progress along the way. Applauding yourself with even the smallest wins is a great way of moving forward. Even if it is only pressing the send button on an e-mail. Notice yourself. Applaud yourself. Have grace and love for yourself.
5. Practice self-compassion: Treat yourself with kindness. We are team everyone else but never "TEAM ME." Remember that it's okay to feel overwhelmed, and setbacks are a natural part of life. Be patient with yourself and practice self-care. You deserve it.
6. Find healthy coping mechanisms: I am not saying drink two bottles of wine a day but engage in activities that help you relax and reduce stress, whatever that may be. Even if it is just lying on the grass and allowing the sun rays to touch your skin for a couple of minutes a day.
7. Maintain a positive mindset: This is challenging, especially when your whole entire world is falling apart around you. But always try to focus on the positives in your life, I always say find that flippen silver lining because there has to be one. Practice gratitude for the things you appreciate and remind yourself that challenging times are temporary.
I am no professional but I can tell you there’s been days where I don’t want to even try. There has been days where the days are way to long and the nights way to dark. But I talk to myself and tell myself things like; “Chin up and give a tiny step.” “One task at a time.” “It’s ok to take a moment,” “Tomorrow is another day.” I mean I can carry on for days about the things I have told myself. Pep talking yourself is a very good starting point. Remember, tough times are a part of life, and it's natural to face difficulties at different places in your life. The most important thing I want to tell you today is ABSOLUTELY NEVER GIVE UP. Always show up. Even if it is just for yourself. Because it doesn’t last forever, it doesn’t RULE and it does not define you as a person or your future. You are going to be ok. Sometimes God has to teach us lessons. Sometimes we just need to slow down and listen. But while you going through, keep your head high, your values planted and your faith activated. Surround yourself with people who care for you and live it out. This too shall pass. (Famous last words shared between myself and a very good and special friend) I hope this post reaches someone that needs to read this today because ultimately we know that God works in mysterious ways. Maris xoxo